11 December 2013

The Amazon Kindle: An Update (and a U-Turn)

In an earlier post, I gave an overwhelmingly positive review of the Amazon Kindle. This was my first Kindle, and Amazon's first generation device.

Later, when my first Kindle broke, I posted a picture of my second Kindle, a Kindle Touch.

Since then, it seems that Amazon's new Kindles are all touch-screen ones.

And as a result, I HAVE NOW RETURNED TO HARD COPY BOOKS.

Why?

Because the ergonomics in Amazon's original print-to-screen device were all but forgotten when they created a touch-screen device that turns the page when you touch it. Think about it. This means that when you are reading, you CANNOT touch the screen. If you do, the page will turn.

This makes for all sorts of awkward finger and palm positioning and the resulting hand cramps are patently not what you are supposed to get when you are meant to be indulging in one of the best pleasures known to man. I'm talking about reading.

And honestly, what sort of real estate was gained in removing the keyboard? A bigger screen? A smaller device? The original device was already lightweight to begin with and now, a bigger screen just means more space to avoid touching when I am reading. FAIL!

Sorry, dear reader, about the caps and exclamation marks. You might be pleased to know that I've now renewed my Books Kinokuniya membership. 

No comments:

Post a Comment